So Friday was effectively the last official day of Berlin Fashion Week.
After a flurry of stylish heels and outfits, exclusive red carpets and impressive runway shows and presentations, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin ended its 17th season with more than 50 designers presenting their Spring/Summer 2016 Collections.
What a fabulous week it was.
Now take note. I’m not a fashion blogger. I couldn’t even tell you who is wearing what, when or how, next season!
What I can tell you, is how to do your own thing and be your own personal style icon.
What I can show you, is how to live of both style and travel because if I can do it.
So can you.
This year, Berlin Fashion Week took place from 06.07.15 – 10.07.15.
Last season I bit off far more than I could chew, packed far too many things in, went a bit over-board and exhausted myself running all over the city and quaffing on champagne and gin and tonic!
This season, I was better prepared and booked a few days out in order to take advantage of all the possibilities that the fashion week had to offer.
You know how much I really like Berlin and the fact that the opportunities here abound for all who are ready to work hard and find their own creative space. That is why even though my blog is centered on lifestyle and travel rather than fashion per se, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin (MBFWB) fully accredited me as a member of the press industry and honestly, every time I see my press pass it makes me feel so honoured and also enormously proud.
I mean, who would have thought that I, a lifestyle expat travel blogger of less than two (2) years would get the chance. THE CHANCE to not only attend Berlin Fashion Week, but also the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin!
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin is the cherry on the top of all that is fashion in this town. I mean, they are the cat’s pajamas LOL!
Thank you so much Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin!
I’ve written extensively about how I got involved in Berlin Fashion Week so you can read all about it below:
- We might not be London. We might not be Paris. But by god, we’re gonna have a jolly good time in Berlin, at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week!
- You’re looking hot and wearing a fur coat Katie Holmes. Of course you are: It’s Berlin Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2015!
SO WHAT’S MERCEDES-BENZ FASHION WEEK BERLIN REALLY ALL ABOUT THEN?
Well if you didn’t know, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin is an event that offers a glimpse into what’s next in fashion.
It features renowned designers and introduces up-and-coming fashion and design talent making their debut in front of fashion insiders from all across the globe in not only “the Tent” at Berlin’s enormously historic landmark – Brandenburg Gate, but for the first time, at a new contemporary venue called “the Stage” at me Collectors Room.
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin is one of the most important supporters of the German fashion industry and is the flagship event for creative and emerging designers with:
- Participating designers from Austria, China, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Malaysia, Mozambique, Nigeria, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Uganda, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.
- Registered press and buyers from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
- The catwalk at Brandenburg Gate being 33 m in length and offering two different setups (Straight, Wide).
- The catwalk at me Collectors Room being 20 m in length and offering two different setups (Straight, Presentation).
- 628 lights and 50 loudspeakers to amplify the shows at Brandenburg Gate.
- 126 lights and 20 loudspeakers to amplify the shows at me Collectors Room.
- 6,550 hairpins.
- 3,100 hair ties.
- More than 702 hairstyles dressed by the L’Oréal Professionnel team under the direction of Head of Hair – André Märtens.
- 560 bottles of hairspray.
- 340 hair clips used in 4 days!
- 210 cans of gel and pomade.
- The creation of the latest hair styling trends.
- And VIPs’ and celebrities such as Elle MacPherson, Eva Herzigova, Nena, Patrice Bouedibela, and Zac Posen.
AND IN LAYMAN’S TERMS?
Well, the focus this season was on linen, huge flowers and prints, sleek clean lines, long shorts, cream, grey, pale blue and brown, long hair with bold and intricate plaits for the girls and either long hair or side-parted crops for the boys and leather or platform slip-ons, and a deliberate overlap between fashion and technology.
And what were most people wearing?
CAN ANYONE GO TO FASHION WEEK?
You sure can.
Many events were “by invitation only” but if you’re a member of the public and are really interested in the designer, you only have to write to their P.R. or agent, and ask! Besides, there were many other events in which you could either buy a ticket to attend or were “open to the public” anyway.
Do note that one of the reasons many events were “by invitation only” was because of the space. You want to be comfortable, safe and secure. And the same goes for the models and everyone who is attending. Safety first.
Unlike a certain after-party that I went to that was so “popular” that security had to close the entrance. At one point people began to get squashed and were piling on the stairs!
I took it as my cue to leave and the security guys were very helpful in keeping me safe. More about the social parties next week…!
WHERE WAS VICTORIA aka THE BRITISH BERLINER?
Well, I received press invitations and passes to:
PANORAMA, SHOW & ORDER, BREAD & BUTTER, PREMIUM, SEEK, BRIGHT TRADESHOW, #FASHIONTECH BERLIN-KONFERENZ, PATRICK LOVES SPONGEBOB by PM, ETVAS MAGAZINE PRESENTS, and various exclusive fashion houses in conjunction with Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin, of course!
WHERE DID I ACTUALLY GO?
I actually went to:
- ANJA GOCKEL
- LOUISE FRIEDLAENDER
- IRENE LUFT
- JULIAN ZIGERLI
- AUGUSTIN TEBOUL
- LILLY INGENHOVAN
- ETVAS MAGAZINE PRESENTS..
- SHOW & ORDER
- BREAD & BUTTER
- BRIGHT TRADESHOW
- #FASHIONTECH BERLIN-KONFERENZ
I should also have gone to:
- LENA HOSCHEK
- ALEXANDRA TAMELE
- MISS GERMANY
- EWA HERZOG
- VERO MODA “BACK TO THE ROOF”
- PATRICK LOVES SPONGEBOB BY PM
but by the time that I got around to it, it was far too late to send an RSVP, too far away to get back to, or clashed with another event.
- Reply ASAP!
- No, really.
- Say “yes” to everything.
- Once you say “yes,” put everything in order with the date, time and location.
- So now that you’ve said “yes,” don’t try to do everything at all! Confusing isn’t it?!
- Do some, and politely decline the others!
- Use all the exclusive Mercedes-Benz shuttle services provided from the main venue at Brandenburg Gate, to the offsite events for accredited press and media.
- Wear comfy shoes at the trade fair shows and “fashion” shoes at the “real” Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin.
- Don’t forget to eat.
- Drink lots and lots of water.
- Photos ©Nass / Brauer for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week SPRING/SUMMER 2016 in Berlin,
- Photo ©Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for Mercedes-Benz,
- Photo ©Zak Kaczmarek/Getty Images for IMG,
- Photos ©Peter Michael Dills/Getty Images for IMG,
- Photos ©Victoria Ade-Genschow – The British Berliner.
This article is not sponsored and even though I received complimentary press tickets, all opinions and the various titbits and refreshing glasses of champagne that I didn’t hesitate to accept, are my very own!
I have so much to share with you.
Next week, I will continue the excitement that is Berlin Fashion Week and give you all the fashion details. I’m also going to let you in on the much-sought for after-party tips as well as my next travel destination to three (3) countries!
Very, very soon!
July is going to be delightful.
Watch this space!
Have you ever participated or been to Fashion Week in Berlin or anywhere else in the week? A Mercedes-Benz or a Bentley?
See you in Berlin.
If you like this post or if you have any questions send me a tweet, talk to me on Facebook, find me on Linkedin, make a comment below, look for me on Google+ or send me an Email: email@example.com
Please Share it! Tweet it! Or like it!