I can’t believe that on Tuesday, October 21st, my blog was 1 year old. I can’t quite believe that 12 months ago on an Autumn Sunday evening, I decided to put pen to paper and open up a social media thingy. And yes, as of last year, I didn’t really know what a blog was.
Oh, I used to have a travel diary that was purely set up for friends and family, but this blogging thing was something else. This. Was. Real!
So much has taken place that I can hardly stand it. I mean, this time last year, I didn’t even know what Twitter was. I mean, I knew it, but I didn’t know it – know it!
As a result, this week’s post is going to be about that journey from when I wrote my first blog, to right now. One year later. Here we go!
Before we go on, why did I start this blog anyway…..?
At the beginning of the year, I told you that “The Tall Young Gentleman” was a member of the Boy Scouts of America: Troop 46. Some of the American mothers were new in town and not only am I the only British parent but I’m also the New Parent Co-Ordinator…..One of the mothers asked me about skiing in Europe. I recommended the Czech Republic. Lots of my corporate clients ask me about Britain, I recommended London and my original home-town – Manchester. Thousands, OK, hundreds of people asked me about Germany. I recommended Berlin and then I thought, why don’t I write about my favourite places and they can see for themselves? So here we are!
And before we go any further, I would just like to thank some very important people.
All of you.
This blog would be just an empty piece of cyber-paper floating in the bloggersphere. You have all been so amazing and supportive, reading my blog every week, and sharing it with all your friends and associates.
Thank you so much! I love you all!
So let’s go back in time.
WHAT IS THIS BLOG ABOUT?
The British Berliner is a lifestyle expat travel blog about a British girl from Manchester living in Berlin with her German husband and her half British – half German son, promoting British-German life, culture, history, literature, theatre, style, the English Language, travels around the world, what she does in normal every day life, and where she goes.
THE MOST POPULAR POST EVER
Do you know that the most popular post is actually the very first post, that I ever wrote on my blog! The title: Germany is Boring. Oops! Yeah, I got insults and abuse for this post. Mainly from people who never read it. Ah well, I’m famous now. Right. Right?!
THE MOST POPULAR INTERNATIONAL POST
In April, I went to Poland. Poland is one of my favourite places and so was this post: Going to Poland: 10 reasons not to go! Well! Well!
THE MOST POPULAR POST ABOUT SCOTLAND
In October, 2013, we went to Scotland. I love Scotland. It’s a wild, windy place and the Scottish people like to tell it as it is. So do you. You said you loved this post: Haggis, Tatties & Neeps: 10 things to do in Edinburgh. I guess it’s time to crunch and swallow!
THE MOST POPULAR BRITISH POST
There’s no point in being The British Berliner if I can’t tell you how to be British. You found this post entertaining: How to be British: Oh and by the way, you need to queue! And so did the trolls and naughty people. Some were so naughty that I had to ban them from my blog!
THE MOST POPULAR SOCIAL POST
I had been plodding away at my blog when it changed direction and took a fabulous turn for what I consider to be enormous success. This change happened in May, when I randomly met a PR person and she invited me to the Berlin Music Video Award. Woah! I was being invited for “real” stuff and so I wrote this post: A light, a camera, and a broken arm: Action and drama at the Berlin Music Video Awards. That post opened the door to even more exciting stuff just a few months after I started blogging. Oh yes!
THE MOST COMMENTED POST EVER
You love British people.You love how quirky we are and the fact that we tend to be particular about certain things, and you said so in the post about being British: How to be British: Oh and by the way, you need to queue! I had almost 50 comments. :) :) Thank You so much!
THE MOST COMMENTED POST ABOUT BERLIN
You felt that the post that spoke to you most was this one: If you’re looking to make a change: Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a family. Choose an alternative walking tour in Berlin! It had 44 comments. I know the big bloggers have a hundred comments and more, but that post was written in May, 2014. A little after the 6 month mark.
THE MOST COMMENTED INTERNATIONAL POST
I used to live in London. I can’t cook.
I did however, make an effort to learn in Thailand and you seemed to appreciate that, as this was the most commented international post: Thai food is going to kill you: Cook your own! You totally agreed! That was a lot of fun too!
WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
THE TOP 10 MOST POPULAR COUNTRY, OF PEOPLE WHO READ MY BLOG
- The USA
- Great Britain
- The Russian Federation
- Thailand missing out by 1 point, so I’ve added it too, for the exotic factor!
COUNTRIES I HAVE BEEN TO IN THE LAST 1 YEAR
- South Korea
Surprisingly, I also get a significant number of readers from Spain, India, Italy, & Brazil. It’s amazing that even though I only blog once a week, consistently I might add LOL, I still manage to attract a huge number of subscribers and happy Twitter fans who read my blog on a daily basis, and all my funny two-line quips! You too can join in the fun and games right here: http://twitter.com/britishberliner
Not too shabby I might add!
THE MOST POPULAR PRESS TRIP
Even though Northern France is my first press trip, it’s very much worth writing about, so the most popular post was: My first press or FAM trip ever to Nord-Pas de Calais otherwise known as, Northern France! It was amazing. I’m so honoured to have been invited. It was great, but bloody hard work LOL!
The readers have spoken, now what do I think?
MY TOP BLOG ACHIEVEMENTS
- Starting this blog. Hurrah!
- Becoming The British Berliner.
- Promoting and showing you Berlin.
- Getting a press pass.
- Going to Berlin Fashion Week.
- Hanging out with VIP’s at the Berlin Music Video Awards.
- Sitting on the front row at Berlin’s Night of Fashion.
- Being invited on my first press trip to France.
- Being at the first Eddie Izzard stand-up show in Germany. Ever!
- Attending a workshop on Twitter and then getting it sorted a few days later!
- Being invited to take part in a Twitter conference.
- Being an active member of Travel Massive (the Berlin Chapter).
- International Travel.
- Regional Travel.
- Local Travel.
- People believing in me, encouraging me, and motivating me.
- Getting my blog business cards.
- Hanging out at the Berlin Film Festival (the Berlinale).
- Participating and running all over town during Berlin Music Week and Now We Take Berlin Music Festivals.
- Being recognised among my peers.
- Making an established name for myself as The British Berliner.
- Meeting other real-life bloggers. That was awesome by the way!
- Talking to and hearing from YOU. Yes, YOU.
MY TOP 15 FAVOURITE POSTS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!
- A light, a camera, and a broken arm: Action and drama at the Berlin Music Video Awards.
- How to be British: Oh and by the way, you need to queue!
- If you’re looking to make a change: Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a family. Choose an alternative walking tour in Berlin!
- What the heck is Berlin all about anyway?
- I’m fabulous and so are you! 10 tips on going to a festival in Berlin.
- If you’re going to dance the night away – Do it in Berlin!
- ITB Berlin: 10 things to do if you’re a new blogger and what I learnt.
- 3 days in Bangkok: A walking tour isn’t what you think!
- Death and Destruction in Berlin: How to get a piece of Shakespeare in King Lear.
- SHOW ME: How to get your own dazzling glamour in Berlin.
- The astonishing rivers and lakes of Berlin and Brandenburg: 10 reasons why you should!
- Bill Bailey, a very tall German, and the English-speaking stand-up comedy scene in Berlin!
- A moustache, a turkey and a quivering hand: 10 reasons to be an expat in Berlin.
- So you think you know Mozart? Breakin’ Mozart in Berlin!
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate it lots.
Thank you for making this blog real, reading, commenting, and connecting. You’re all amazing. Here’s to the next blog year. Cheers!
Next week, it’s back to work. It’s November.
This article is not sponsored. It’s my blog birthday!
I have so much to share with you so I will be returning to our adventures in Indonesia, and Qatar, in November.
Next week, I will be writing about the Eat-the-world food Kreuzberg walking tour that I went to last week! Tasty!
In November, I will also be writing about the British National Theatre LIVE production. The next production coming up at Cinestar Berlin – Original is:
Skylight on: 30.10.14.
Frankenstein – Original Cast on: 13.11.14.
Frankenstein – Reversed Cast on: 27.11.14.
For the rest of the year, Berlin will be celebrating and marking the 25th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall.
Following a smash-hit tour of the UK and Ireland, LET IT BE will descend on Berlin with a six (6) day exclusive showing of a celebration of The Beatles from 11.11.14 – 16.11.14 at the Admirals Palast.
November is going to be exciting!
Do you have a blog? Have you ever celebrated it? What post is your favourite? Was there anything that you found surprising?
See you in Berlin.
If you like this post.
Share it! Tweet it! Like it!